Germany's other F1 circuit has joined Hockenheim in pulling out of the running to host the scheduled July 19 race.
Earlier this week, Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler told Bild newspaper: "We have no more hope that formula one will take place here" in 2015.
And now the Nurburgring has followed suit, as DPA news agency quoted spokesman Pietro Nuvolini as saying: "We have reached the decision that it makes no more sense to wait any longer for timing, organising and economic reasons".
Bernie Ecclestone told The Independent newspaper last weekend that "The German grand prix is dead at the moment".
The absence of the German grand prix, taking the calendar down to 19 races, will be the first since 1960, when the Nurburgring hosted only a F2 race.
"Mr Ecclestone knew our offer," Nurburgring board member Michael Lemler told the Rhein Zeitung newspaper. "We had been willing to accept a reasonable loss.
"Now we look to the future."
Spokesman Nuvolini confirmed that the Nurburgring has decided to "free up the date reserved for formula one on July 19 to another organiser".